View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 5:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHead View Post
I understand that the OP wants to use his existing 870 Express Magnum for upland bird hunting and is asking for barrel recommendations. There is a BIG difference between a combat/home defense shotgun and a shotgun used for trap or upland game in regard to barrel length. For trap or wing shooting you would be at a disadvantage with the shorter barrel because it would be unbalanced and would not swing very smoothly. A well balanced gun is a key element for consistent success in trap and wing shooting. Length and weight are an advantage when shooting trap or live birds because of balance and swing weight of the gun. For example; if you have ever shot at a teal dropping in on you out of nowhere at first light on a hazy foggy morning, or a hard right or left trap target you would understand how important swing weight is. If you can do that with an 18 or 20” barrel, my hat is off to you. Your existing 870 would be a fine choice for upland shooting, find a barrel in a length that feels balanced and swings smoothly for you, preferably 28” or longer. Home defense situations are normally in close range, but hunting situations require creative shots and therefore complete powder burn with a longer barrel will give the shot more oomph when needed. Of course that depends on the burn rate of the powder being used. Skeet is a different story, but I don’t do skeet. So get the longer barrel with removable chokes and go hunting, when you get home slap the 18" barrel back on and you are golden.
Great advice!
The OP would be wise to listen to him.
If there was a advantage to a 18" barrel I would think folks that have a lot on the line, for example the Olympic trap and skeet teams would use them.
Another problem with short barrels are the noise.
If you are hunting with someone with a short barrel it is LOUD.
I once duck hunted with a person with a short barrel on a 870.
I told him he would have to a longer barrel or a different gun before I would take him out again.