View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 1:58 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
Have you tried the civi ones?? As in have you eaten any of them?? I got out in 99, but even then the military MRE's were pretty good. I have heard they are even better now. I MAY order a couple cases of the Military ones. It ends up being like $2 more per meal, but I have faith in the military ones, where the civi ones look to be lacking to me in both selection as well as contents.

I have heard of folks eating the mountain meals as well, but I just don't know if there is anything out there that can beat the Military MRE's.

I will definitely have some spices (salt, pepper, lawry's seasoning) plus I will probably add some rice a roni meals as well.
The military MRE's are definitely better. You're right about the civi's lacking in content. They generally have a regular MRE entree and maybe some MRE crackers and the rest is over-the-counter stuff in a heat-sealed plastic bag. And no matter what, you won't get a strawberry shake, which is my favorite.

I bought some really decent backpacks at Big5 when they had a 50% off sale. Just watch the ads and you should be able to get a decent pack for $20-30. You can also look in the clearance bin at REI.

Ebay is a good resource for MRE's. They're very popular, so you have to watch it constantly, but you should be able to get a case for $50-60 shipped. Sort by 'time-listed' and the new buy-it-nows will have some deals. If you have to bid, you'll get $crewed. There are a lot of sellers selling individual components and those are good too. There's a case on there now with an inspection date of '07 for $60 shipped. As you know, the inspection date is not an expiration date and they will be safe to eat forever. The retort packaging is bacteria-free. They just tend to lose flavor quality and maybe some nutrition value as time goes by. But '07 is good to go for some time.

By the way, the SU16 has been deployed and works great. Thanks again.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Last edited by olhunter; 04-18-2009 at 2:08 PM..