View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Default LTC and Handgun Storage at the gym

I've been struggling with this question for quite some time, and thought I'd solicit a little insight from the Calguns crew.

I have a LTC and work out at a gym near my office several time a week. What is the best way to store my handgun while I'm working out? Because I shower at the gym and go right to work, the only two options that I see are to 1) leave it in the car or 2) lock it in my gym locker. In addition to deciding where to lock it up, do I need to unload it every time I lock it up in either place, or can I leave it loaded?

To this point, I have been leaving it unloaded in a locked container in the car (Nanovault w/ security cable attached to seat frame), but I really don't like going through the process of unholstering/unloading/clearing in the car, then reloading, chambering, and reholstering in the car after working out. I'd much rather lock my loaded/holstered weapon in the Nanovault, and be done. You may disagree, but to me, the daily loading/unloading process increases the risk of a negligent/accidental discharge compared to locking up a loaded/holstered weapon.

So, what about leaving it in the gym locker? I'm certainly not going to pull out my firearm and load/unload while in the locker room, so it would seem the only option here would be to leave it loaded/holstered in the locker.

All else being equal, I'll make the decision about car or locker based on my perception of which is less likely to be broken into. My real question is, are there any PC requirements that address whether the firearm must be unloaded if I'm going to lock it up in either a locker or a locked container in my unoccupied car? Or am I OK to lock it up holstered/loaded in either place?

Obviously, opinions are welcomed (it's Calguns, so not like I have a choice?), but I'm particularly interested in anyone that can cite a relevant source (PC Sections, etc). Thanks!