View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 5:17 PM

Default late ? feedback on forum subcategories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
Just an observation but the recent shift where national Litigation gets lumped into the national 2nd amend political and legal discussion seems to dilute the objective of separating litigation and litigation updates vs political activities, legislation and legal debates of sorts.

It almost seems if you are going to Separate the CA political discussion from CA litigation, that the national forum might benefit from that same separation. especially since so much nationally is going on that impacts CA and our litigation efforts the ability to seek out those threads in a more consolidated forum sub section might be helpful. As it seems if national legislative activities, legal discussion and court rulings are all lumped together in the national forum it seems to dilute things and possible the ability to separate the relevant litigation threads from, legal banter and from the legislative activities nationally before they get pushed down and buried. sometimes consolidation is good but the differentiations between legislative and legal discussion vs actual litigation seems like a helpful separation that works well for the CA information. The national forum on the other hand seems to now serve almost as a catch all for new articles, legislation litigation and more which sometimes seems to bury a lot

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism (54 Viewing)
Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion (31 Viewing)
Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion (16 Viewing)
Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is

Just a suggestion. i dont think its overly necessary but i think with the volume of national activity it might be worth a pause to think about
+1. Just saw this today, as I dont browse a lot of the rest of Calguns, but I think DD is on to something.
If you are trying to keep forums clear and obvious to new users, and
make most use of Tapatalk and mobile formats, then may I suggest- anything that provides a cleaner, simpler "look" on the front landing page, that makes it easy for younger readers accustomed to blogs and flash formatted sites to check on their phones-
while still retaining the strengths of this older BB type format, that is more familiar to long time PC and bulletin board users.

That means fewer boxes on top level, and expand the tree below that, and letting stale news roll off bottom naturally, more like the blog format.

2A Litigation and Legal Discussion -
to DDs observation, but with a twist- simplify by taking out the CA vs National division- Having ALL cases and legal discussion in one place makes it easier to comment and crosscheck on related LEGAL concepts in all cases underway, that otherwise you would miss, having to jump back and forth, CA to National -
good example is how like Peruta and "Palmer v2"(wren, akers vs dc) are related.

2A News, Politics and Other Discussion
. Again, since 2A news is national AND state, and so intertwined, simplifying the top level gives a quick look for whats new,
and next level down can segment to State and National, if needed. If you can educate newer readers how to use subscribe that will keep them on top of and reminded of anything that scrolls past first page or two- which is a pain to refresh, but gets WAY too detailed and cluttered to read on a smaller screen,
if you try to keep more on the flat front page, like the BB format, now.

I would suggest the timeliness of most posts, will take care of themselves, as interest wanes and newer stories push them down, and newer readers who are familiar with the blog format wont find that objectionable, and older readers who already know of the subscriptions and search features, can stay in daily touch that way.

for example, those intent on following long threads on game theory, hypotheticals, or other interesting arcana can simply subscribe to those,
without inconveniencing those who have to wade thru long posts in sequence to find out if "something is new".

I think Librarians idea to sticky current or high interest cases helps to consolidate multiple breaking news posts by individuals, and redirect traffic that way, as appropriate.
And using stickies for something long-term in CA is another way to get the benefit of both fast scan, and deep detail in one page.

just my $.02

NRA Lifetime Member, SAF Lifetime Member

Last edited by rlc2; 02-12-2015 at 5:32 PM..