View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Have You Ever Had to Arrest a Combative Subject Who Knew How to Fight?

These are serious questions and I am not trying to make light of these life and death situations. I am not trying to be an internet tough guy.

I am asking this here because you guys have to arrest people who often don't want to be arrested and sometimes they want to take their anger against the world out on you.

The recent thread from a female asking about becoming a LEO also perked my interest when one of the LEOs reminded those reading, that someone had to put that no neck gang banger in jail, he most likely didn't volunteer to be there.

Many people take a few self defense classes or a martial art and they think that they can take on anyone.

Have you ever used or had to use any kind of martial art? Has someone used it on you or a fellow officer, if so how did it work? Do most people just go into primal fight mode and forget training or does the training stay with you in that life and death situation?

Have you ever faced an extremely determined and dangerous subject who could not be taken with out multiple officers?

My father helped an officer in the western addition in SF when I was young. The officer was knocked down multiple times by a very strong career criminal. My dad helped the officer by knocking the guy off balance and circling while pretending that he was helping him get away. My dad kept telling the guy that he didn't want to do this and he should run now. The guy swung at my dad but missed but my dad didn't fight with him, he just kept knocking him off balance while telling him he was trying to help him get away.

By this time, the officer got up and was able to take the guy down so my dad backed away but the guy overpowered the officer again and was trying to get his gun. My dad knocked him off again and eventually the officer was able to cuff him. That guy was literally trying to kill the officer.

My dad was a white guy who was the maintenance supervisor in a predominately black housing project, the last thing he wanted was for the area thugs to know he helped a cop so he was trying to be covert.

My dad boxed and his cousin fought for a world title and trained some pretty famous boxers in SF. He said that that helped him many times.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?