View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderr View Post
I really doubt you can design a polymer with the lifespan on aluminum for this particular purpose. You'd become the richest man in the world, if you succeeded.
Well, at the risk of derailing this thread, let's look at what kind of stress exactly does the polymer frame have to take.

With my limited knowledge in guns, I know a Glock slide is riding on steel guides embedded into the polymer frame. The recoil spring is between a steel locking block(?) and the steel slide. The steel locking block/insert is somehow wedged against the polymer frame. That pressure can be designed to spread across a relative large area to decrease stress on the polymer frame. The polymer frame itself is relatively strong and more flexible than steel, which may be a good thing. The accuracy of a pistol is from the barrel and the slide fit. The frame can be bent and the pistol can still remain accurate.

I again ask for some numbers of Glock failures from material exhaustion. I want to know why other nations are so stupid in copying the Glock design and adopting Glocks for use in militaries and police use.

Personally, I'm not a fan of polymer guns. I have a Glock 19 but don't really enjoy it. I enjoy my P226 way more, and am much more accurate with it. I'm merely thinking in terms of a very large organizational purchase.