View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
After the suspect rammed the first unit with the trailer knocking him 90 degrees to the left, how could they terminate the pursuit...

The driver was a felony ADW suspect at that time, so do you just let him go?

To me there is just as much "liability" letting him go as there is chasing him... As it turned out the officers made the right decision. They were able to stop the suspect, with the only injuries / fatalities being the suspect...
That may sound harsh, however it was the suspects actions which caused the officers to react with deadly force... At any time he could have simply stopped the truck and surrendered...

His choices the officers reacting to those choices....

All choices have consequences. The consequences of this suspects choices were his own death.....
Ramming the patrol car in reverse from a short distance would not likely result in great bodily injury or death IF the officer is inside the vehicle with his seat belt on. IF the officer were standing outside of the vehicle and the suspect did that we would be talking ADW. Any lawyer worth his salt would argue this point easily.

The officer can terminate the pursuit at any time even if he were a victim of a crime.

I honestly believe that while this pursuit took place the officers were more concerned with catching the suspect than public safety or officer safety.

All I saw in the video at the time of the OIS was poor tactics. They are very lucky that the suspect didn't run them over when they both exited from their patrol cars while the truck was still moving.