View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 8:11 PM

Default I own a lot of BSA Scopes, but.....

In my experience, some are decent, others are not. IMHO, if you decide to buy in this price range, research, research, research. What you will find is that some are actually very good, but others are terrible. It's not like BSA actually builds all their own scopes - they probably sub them out to different plants, with very different levels of quality control. This results in some models being very good while others are horrible.

In addition to looking for a lot of reviews, I look for reports from people who are using them in high recoil applications. If the scope stands up to a heavy magnum, it will stand up to my 30-06 or .223. I have over 20 of these scopes and I have only had to pull one that I thought was questionable. It had a drifting zero problem. Swapping the scope seems to have solved the problem - but the mount may have been the problem.

I have had very good results with their 2x pistol scopes in scout mounts on a variety of rifles. I have several 2-7x Sweet .22 scopes and I love them. I bought a bunch as "Sweet 17" scopes cheap and just ordered .22 turrets.

My biggest complaint is that they seem to design scopes, make a bunch and then move on to another model. Sadly, this means if they come up with a very good scope (like the 1.5-4.5x I have on my AR), it may not be available when you want to get another one.

Lately, BSA seems to be attempting to move "upscale". They are making more expensive scopes and promoting their lifetime warranty. Time will tell if their products are really getting better, or if it is just marketing.

So, I guess the bottom line is; You pay either way. Either you spend a lot of time doing research, or you spend more money - and if you want a scope with virtually no negative reviews, you will spend a lot more.

Last edited by vincewarde; 10-30-2013 at 12:07 PM..