View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 2:32 PM
Jedi Master
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
With the changes in picture hosting, it would be great if the OP could repost the pics.
I'm not the OP but recently converted one from out of state and snapped some pics (actually took pics after the transfer was complete so I was converting from single action back to double however all the same). As OP states it is HIGHLY recommended you have a single action hammer assembly ready to deploy when converting. Don't want to mess with punching out the double action sear. Much easier to simply drop the pre-altered hammer assembly in the revolver. As ColdDeadHands1 notes below it is not required to have the 2nd hammer assembly in the ready however it certainly is a convenience (especially for me as I'm not mechanically inclined however many CalGunners are).

OK...here are some pics.

Picture of Factory N Frame hammer (with double action sear) next to Hammer that has the double action sear removed. Green Arrow shows the double action sear.

This is from a 625-6 that I recently converted at a local FFL

Remove grips and unscrew 4 screws as OP recommends (I only do screws 1, 2, and 3 here. I remove the 4th screw later. The first three hold the side plate. The 4th holds the leaf spring. Please make note of which screws come out of which holes as they are all different.

Now remove the side plate. See OPs notes on this from his original post. Tap the frame as noted with rubber gunsmith hammer or rubber screw driver.

Once side plate is removed it should look like this.

Remove transfer bar safety and remove the 4th screw which will relieve the leaf spring (see prior pic for leaf spring).

Now the double action Hammer Assembly can be removed and replaced with the sear less Hammer (single action). Just drop it in.

Then reverse steps to put revolver back together. Start with the leaf spring and screw #4, put the transfer safety bar back in carefully so it will align with the side plate. Tap the side plate back on with your rubber tool. Affix your screws 1-3 and you are done. Finished product below...

Let me know how this works for folks!

Bonus..added a MIM conversion...again I drop in a single action ready hammer assembly to make it quick and risk/error free but that's me.

Hammer Assembly: Double Action MIM vs Single Action MIM

Recent 625 Conversion (MIM) complete

Last edited by scroman; 12-18-2018 at 1:35 PM.. Reason: added MIM hammer pics