View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 5:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As mentioned by others, shop recruiters until you get what YOU want in your contract. That being said, going MI in the Army was the best thing that I could have done. I got to spend almost a year and a half in postcard-scenic Monterey learning the foreign language I wanted at what is arguably the best language school in the world, plus another six months at Intel school (at an Air Force base) which was mostly more specialized language training. At the time, I got the fattest initial enlistment bonus available. After finishing Basic, Language School, and Intel School, I had less than two years left on my active duty period and I had a TS/SCI clearance.

After going through all that intensive training, college was a breeze after I got out. Many years later, my military experience...specifically my language training and job in Intel...combined with other skills gained later, resulted in my being able to deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan as a civilian contractor employee. That was the greatest experience in my life in so many ways...one that will probably resume again soon.

MI in the Army was great for me and many others...it led many of us down paths that we otherwise would not have traveled. That being said, a Combat Medic MOS would also have many very applicable civilian equivalents. Maybe try to get a stab at SF selection in your contract...SF medics are some of the most highly trained guys in the world and they definitely get to use their skills in today's world.

Whatever you do, make sure you get what you want in your contract and make sure you read it and understand it. If it is not in writing, do not expect to "just sign up for it later." Good luck!