View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 8:58 PM

I read this whole thread because a friend at work is going through this same thing.

His situation.

When he was 18 he committed an armed robbery with someone else and was convicted of aggravated robbery due to not having a weapon or making the threats. This was in Louisiana 34 years ago. He received a three year sentence, got out in one, received a pardon from the governor after five more years due to him becoming a minister and doing work with the prison lot.

Fast forward 34 years.

He is still ministering at his congregation, even gets to marry folks. He is very religious, works with drug addicts, never becomes angry. At his day job going hunting is popular so he thought why not and tried to buy a firearm. He filled out the form NO for felony conviction due to the governor's pardon.

He was denied but was not subject to perjury prosecution. He is trying to restore his rights himself and filled out lots of DOJ paperwork but no one at DOJ will answer him if he is even eligible for rights restoration. He had purchased firearms in Louisiana many years ago so it appears to be a DOJ thing and not a Fed thing. He gets the slack jaw stare when dealing with the government robotons.

So my question is???

Does a governor's pardon qualify someone in CA for restoration of firearms rights? Is there some rule that he must get a pardon from a CA governor to make this happen?

I read this thread and do not understand this and all this wobbler thing. It sounds like he may have been better off asking for a reduction to a misdemeanor rather than a pardon as those that had rights restored did this. I did not read anyone that received a governor's pardon getting his rights restored so is that even an option?

I would like all the highly learned (because they are members at all the gun/law forums and read it all day long) internet lawyers here at Calguns to chime in on this one so I can pass the information on like if it is worth him hiring a lawyer or if that's a waste of time and money.

Please help me help a friend who is the kind of person we want to be a firearms owner to stop those liberal ministers that preach firearms are evil.