View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I have two sets of young friends. They're good people, the kind you'd WANT to be around after the dust settles, to help bring the world back online.

They've been alternately starving students, and taking care of ill aged parents and starting their own family. They have not had the years and money that I have had to "get ready". I'm going to need what they have to offer, and they're going to need what I have to offer. I don't hold it against them that they aren't as ready as I am, even so, they are doing what they can and making amazing progress.

They know they're welcome at my place when the balloon goes up, but they also know they'll be required to participate and bring what they can, and they are pleased to have that opportunity.

Would I take in just anybody? Hell no. Would I take in friends we've know for years, just because we've known them for years? I think not. But people who have the right mindset, who are doing what they can to be ready also? Who will be an asset and not a drain on resources? I can't stand a watch by myself 24/7 and even splitting it with the wife leaves precious little time for anything else. If I have to leave the house, I'm without someone to watch my six and she's without anyone to help hold down the fort.

We need friends, and they will need us.