View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
It was actually the intention for the founders that the Bill of Rights should apply only to the Federal Government, it was not a 19th century construct. The entire purpose of the 14th amendment was to extend those protections to people (primarily blacks) in the South who were being re-subjugated by various laws and codes (known as black codes) in the wake of their emancipation via the Civil War.

It is a shame that so many of us were so poorly informed in school. I too knew nothing of this until McDonald made it important to my daily life.
Me as well. I thank Gene H and 7x57 for prodding me into actually reading up on this. It is a monumental shame that every child educated in this nation doesn't learn the fundamental principles and history behind the rights that have made the US a unique nation--both over 2 centuries ago at its founding and still today.

Today, we became even more unique. I believe we are unique in the G20 (ironically meeting right now) in being allowed the possession of firearms as a basic right.