View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Project Shotguns

In starting preparations to move out of the People's Republik, I dug these projects out of the back of my safe and finally got them functional again.

Front: Stevens 94B .410 manufactured sometime prior to 1950 as the plastic Tenite stocks were discontinued in that year. The barrel of this shotgun had been shortened before it was given to me; it's a cylinder bore. No front sight had been installed after the barrel was cut. Bought the correct drill, tap and #4 bead from Brownell's and did the job. With .410 buck it keeps all three (lol) pellets on an NRA standard pistol target at 25 yards; better than you'd expect. Birdshot expands well beyond that, making it useful for HD only (as useful as that might be). Have to find some .410 slugs to try, it's pattern was well centered and it might turn out to shoot slugs with acceptable accuracy.

Middle: Remington 870 Wingmaster in 20 ga. This isn't the standard 20 ga. built on a lightweight receiver; this one's built on a 12 ga. receiver and has a serial number that ends in "X". It's at least 35 years old as the last "Heavy Frame" 20 ga. 870s were made in 1979. I have the original barrel, but it's no good for bird hunting now as it won't accept steel shot and I'm too cheap to buy HeaviShot and the like. It could be returned to stock configuration by reinstalling the original barrel, mag spring and cap if one desired, though. Found another barrel on eBay (not an easy task), cut it to approximately 20" and faced it on my mill so that the new barrel is exactly the same length as the magazine extension and installed a new #4 bead. BTW, that's a 12 ga. extension - the mag tube is the same as a 12. The only differences between it and 12 ga. Wingmaster that I have observed are the shell stops (maybe), bolt and barrel.

Rear: High Standard C-200 12 ga. semi-automatic. This is one of the first commercial gas-operated semi-auto designs. Its gas system, however, can't handle heavy and light loads without manually adjusting the gas system, so this one's a heavy load gun only. I installed the MMC adjustable rifle sights as it shot way low with only a bead. Now it shoots slugs to 2" above point of aim at 25 yards. It should be a fun 50 yard slug gun.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 02-14-2014 at 6:47 PM..