View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratled View Post
Like Twinfin mentioned - for any others that do this, check what threads are on your fittings. Unfortunately a lot of folks, and even professional plumbers hired specifically to do this kind of thing, use NPT, National pipe thread, and no fire agency I know uses that. Most use NHT, national hose thread and some use specific department threads This was a big problem at the Oakland Hills Fire years ago when fire couldn't tap into homeowners tanks and many couldn't connect to each other due to mismatched threads.

If your do this, I would provide one outlet that is 1.5" with a male NHT and on larger tanks an additional 2.5" with a male NHT. I would be sure to check with your local agency and confirm what they use. Consider posting a small sing stating size and thread.
Good info. I came across it and already purchased the conversion nipples for
1-1/2 line. I am also running sprinklers on the house and surrounding the house. I figure everything being soaked couldn’t hurt. My water is off a spring so putting in another 20k for 50k in storage is going to allow me to turn everything on and walk away. Gravity feed pressure at the house is 45 psi. I also have a well with a 45 kw generator and multiple large ponds. My goal is to be able to turn on the system and run or be able to fight the fire and survive. Since escaping might be impossible. My protective space is 300 feet and I have 3 d6 dozers, 74,000 pound excavator, skid loader and grader. Fire scares the hell out of me so I prep as much as I can. In my area it is easy to be trapped.

If anyone has anymore ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Duck Killer; 05-13-2019 at 7:47 PM..