View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 7:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

• It is possible, but I don't understand WHY.

Go get a real carbine and save yourself grief. [Plus see my bbl length commentary below.]

[I note the commentary above about XM177 carbines. These to me are in the "WTF?" category given you
    have ~5" of useless pipe on the front end of the bbl. The slip-over fake XM177 FHs are a better option:
    there's real barrel under the fake FH and thus much better carbine muzzle velocity vs. "pistol velocity".
    That ~5" extra of bbl is indeed worth something.]

Also, I'm unclear on some of the mechanicals as far as mounting a buttstock on rear or how much 'surgery'
    on your pistol is required: I'll only address the legal issues here and others can speak up on the mechanicals.
  • You can make a pistol into a rifle, WITH CARE. STAY LEGAL BY OBSERVING SEQUENCES BELOW.

However due to CA SBR laws that must be skirted with wide berth, do NOT convert back to a pistol EVER again.
    [This is despite recent BATF memo about pistol->rifle->pistol conversion legality relevant to the other 40-some
    states.]
  • FIRST, replace the barrel (??difficult) - or extend the barrel with a *permanently* attached extension.

[I am assuming you have/will keep the BulletButton installed.]

[From a pure shooting standpoint, a ~10" bbl with a welded-on bbl extension to achieve legal bbl length will suck
    ballistically - poor muzzle velocity etc. To me, this would be a deal-breaker.]
  • ONLY AFTER THE bbl is legally modded to 16" legal minimum (remember Fed 26" min overall gun length) should
    you even acquire a buttstock, if you own no other guns that buttstock could legally be fitted to - otherwise
    there is "constructive possession of SBR" risk.
  • You need to have a minimum overall length (OAL) of 30" for a semiauto centerfire rifle to avoid AW issues in CA.

This means WHEN YOU ADD THE STOCK ON IT MUST IMMEDIATELY REACH 30" min. overall length - and not have
    something else that has to be added on later - or you will be transitioning thru an illegal Calif AW state to get there.
    Make SURE the total length of the stock and the bbl extension reach min. 30" before assembly.

If anyone starts asking you questions about your assembly sequence, procedure, etc. S.T.F.U. and do not dig
    yourself into a legal hole by opening your yap.

If the attached stock is a folder (side-, under-, collapsible) stock it must either be pinned open first, or the rifle must
    be at 30" min. overall length when the stock is folded so you can avoid "Rooney" matters. California overall length on
    rifles w/folder stocks is measured with the stock CLOSED [Elsewhere, the more generous Fed/BATF measurement
    standard allows rifle's [26" Fed, not 30" CA] minimum length to be measured with the stock open, allowing for a shorter
    folded-up rifle outside CA.]

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 01-04-2013 at 8:09 PM..