View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paltik View Post
I don't know about "being responsible" for my friends, but I'm definitely preparing to help others. In most SHTF situations where I've found myself, I've had more than enough resources for just my family, and have been able to share food, water, and shelter. Often who's got a home and who doesn't comes down to chance (where the hidden fault lines are, where a fire broke out, etc.), and I live by "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

But judiciously deciding to share with others is not the same as robotically giving anything I'm asked for. I'm only "responsible for" my own family, and before my Lord for my own actions and decisions.

Check out my recent article about how people are more likely to help one another than to go looting and pillaging after a disaster.
In a situation where people have some expectation of a quick response from relief workers I tend to agree that "helping" would be more common then "looting".

Even in a situation where it was blatantly obvious (country wide disaster) that relief wasn't coming anytime soon I think "helping" wouldn't be so prevalent but that most people would still act civilized. At least until things started to get desperate.

In both situations there would obviously be the 10% who would go right to looting as a means of enriching themselves. I think the longer people perceive that it will take to get things back to normal, the sooner they are likely to head down the looting path.

That being said, absent some relief in about a week things will get pretty wild in the affected areas.