Thread: CHICKENSSS!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife is a successful chicken surgeon. Here's her report and hopefully this doesn't happen to you, but if it does, I hope this helps.

Quote:
"A problem with one of our chickens. She has a huge swelling in her croup. Manipulating it (and cleaning her up she was a mess) I can feel large peices of *something and pockets of air. reading up on this problem it appears we have an impacted croup. options?

1) take $3 mixed breed chicken to vet for intervention, cost between $150-500. (not happening)

2) watch chicken slowly starve to death. (Um, no)

3) put chicken out of its misery.( only if I have to)

4) hold chicken upside down and massage croup to try to get the chicken to regurgitate. you read that right- make the chicken VOMIT. did I mention chicken don't like to vomit? and they just swallow it again as fast as they can bc they are fecking Velocochickens? (yes- we tried it. no it didn't work)

5) using sharp knife or shears, cut into croup and express contents out. isolate chicken withholding food and water for 24 hours , add otc antibiotic to water and offer- or give as injectible- and watch for improvement.

yeah, we ended up going to 5. apparently miss chicken found THE motherload of some large winged metallic green beetle like creatures and devoured them ALL. I lost count expressing them out along with various other rotting croup contents.

this was the most singularly freaking weird thing I have ever done for one of my animals. and pretty much the grossest."
The chicken is still confined, on day 3 since this happened and doing pretty well. She's even laying eggs.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)