Thread: Answered
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 5:43 PM
ke6guj's Avatar
ke6guj ke6guj is offline
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 909
Posts: 23,783
iTrader: 42 / 100%

Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
So there's a certain gun that will be coming out in the next few months and I want it.

The company has no indication of producing it in an AR pistol set up only in SBR.

My question is, can an out of state FFL receive an SBR and pin a fake can to it and then ship it here to CA? (we are assuming it will have BB and all that junk as well)

When an SBR leaves the factory, is it registered with the government or logged in a certain way so that it can only be an SBR and not a regular rifle?
federally, one can take a registered SBR and convert it a standard Title I rifle by permanently extending the barrel to 16" and making sure it is over 26" OAL. At that point, they can notify the NFA branch that it is no longer an SBR and ATF will cancel the SBR registration. At that point, it is no longer a federally-defined SBR and can be possessed/transfered like any standard rifle.

Whether or not CA would try to claim it is still a CA SBR since at one point in its life it was an SBR, I dunno.

In the Calguns pics sub forum I've seen several rifles like this. Particularly Krink's and Dracos that have fake can's permanently attached/pinned. Can't tell whether these are home builds or were pinned by an FFL before taking possession.
those start as pistols and then go to rifles. completely different legal path than going from SBR > title I rifle.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by ke6guj; 05-19-2013 at 5:45 PM..
Reply With Quote