View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 5:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
Why replace the sear spring when you can tune it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
Redcliff, is very knowledgeable with 1911s. He probably meant the mainspring.
Thank you for the kind words JTROKS, nice to see you still here

Not knowing how familiar a person is at tuning the sear spring, it seemed prudent to recommend they obtain a spare/better part for $7 (Wilson Combat bullet proof or one of the other quality sear springs out there) to learn on so they don't render their 1911 inoperable/unsafe as they have the original spring as a back-up and reference. The problem with the stock ILS mainspring assembly is the 30 lb short mainspring versus the 18-22 lb mainspring you typically can run with a standard mainspring housing and plunger. The two parts that most effect trigger pull weight are of course the sear spring and mainspring while the hammer and sear have the most effect on a crisp break.

Going back to the OP, its a bit unusual for a right handed shooter to push shots left with a short trigger, though more common with left handed shooters with larger hands. While I'd guess at least half of the 1911 owners would shoot a bit better with the short trigger (which is unfortunate as most 1911's come with long triggers), for the other half the long trigger is better. Cleaning up and lightening the trigger pull should help regardless and if the OP shoots better with a long trigger then I'm all in favor of his installing whatever makes him happy.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Last edited by redcliff; 04-22-2018 at 5:32 PM..