View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Truck View Post
The GI Bill isn't gaming the system, its guaranteed to service members after service. Unemployment is also guaranteed to service members, specifically to combat vets. In many cases there are things preventing jobs; PTSD, lack of skills (how does closing with and destroying the enemy translate to a civilian job?), reintegrating into civilian sector.. etc. In my case transitioning from an Infantry Marine to Civilian after 4 years is a difficult transition, especially when bringing a family. All this may seem easy to a civilian or a peace time service member, but look at it from the perspective of a combat vet coming back to a tough economy. We aren't looking to game the system, just help getting back on the saddle.
This is the biggest issue he's dealing with right now. I know he's burnt out from 4 total deployments (2 Iraq, 2 Stan) but he loves the Army and this country. To me, I see it as time to take care of himself but he's worried about how his skills in the military transition into the civilian world. A friend of his got out and applied at Fire and Police, when they found out he was rated a certain % of PTSD (all servicemembers with combat experience get's PTSD %) after separating, that was looked at as part of his package. Good thing one of the fire chiefs that hired him is sympathetic to servicemembers. I was lucky enough to have an MOS that transitioned to the civilian world!