View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 11:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
WASR10 - Thank you for your thoughts. Seems pretty universal among folks here to view the primary sin as disobedience to authority, not a hunger for knowledge that belongs to God alone.

Personally, I would view Cain & Abel as practicing two very different forms of agriculture. Cain was a farmer (planter of crops) and Abel was a herder. These differences are huge to me. One is settled and manipulates the environment while the other reacts to the environment by moving (nomadic or semi nomadic). I also wouldn't put them as actual individual people so much as groups or tribes in the area. There is certainly nothing in the text to suggest that. But stories work best when they're simple and metaphorical rather than literal. It's an oral form of data compression, if you catch the analogy.

I would also put the stories of Adam/Eve, Cain/Abel, Jacob/Esau as part of the same narrative -- not intended to be separate at all.

All the same, these are only my thoughts. I appreciate reading yours & your willingness to share.
This is another point that gets twisted. Neither Cain nor Abel was looked on as disapproved for what they did to obtain livelihood or specifically what items they offered. In fact, the command given was to make the earth a garden, not herd animals, therefore one could rightly argue, based on the context, that Cain was more correctly following the command. But that's not how it worked out. One offered what he grew, one offered his animals. It was about intent. The story of Cain and Abel is about giving out of gratitude vs giving out of obligation. Abel had a more thorough understanding of the context and gave because he wanted to. Cain is warned before killing Abel about his thought process and internal motivations being wrong and leading him down a dark path. Abel evidently also had a better understanding of the import of the sacrifice itself, but that's a different discussion.

This story is, at its core, about mans' main driving factors and motivations. Does one do good things because they're the right things to do, or does one do good things because of fear of punishment or hope of reward and recognition? As we can see around us every day, those who do good things, treat others well, follow moral codes that benefit their neighbor simply because it IS right, much more often do this longer and better than those who do good because doing bad is punished or somehow more detrimental to THEM than doing good. Does the good come from caring more about the benefit to another, or is it about the benefit to ourselves? We see the eventual outcome of these motivating factors in the results. Cain killed his brother because his entire motivation was wrong from its core. Jealousy over the perceived lack of approval, based on incorrect thinking patterns, led Cain to kill Abel. Whether one sees this as a true story, allegory, tribes, or any other literary allusion, the core concept is the same.

It's the core concept of the entire bible. Does one do things for selfless reasons or selfish reasons? It was the question raised in Eden. If one wants to actually understand the entire bible, read Job. It explains everything. The lie to told Eve was about selfishness. Satan's argument has always been that man is a flawed creation that will only serve the greater good when it benefits man. That has never changed.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...

Last edited by njineermike; 05-25-2018 at 2:17 AM..