View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post
All I was showing was you get the security you pay for!
I only agree that you get the security that you pay for to an extent. It is too general of a statement, as there are companies out there that cut corners and charge a lot, and companies that don't and charge less. For example, my Dad bought a liberty safe from a dealer for around $800. It was a 30" wide model, weighed about 800 pounds, only had 1" locking bolts on two sides, and fire protection for just 30 minutes @1200. I think you can get a better more secure safe for about the same price, and you can also get a less secure safe for about the same price. This is why research is paramount. (I am not saying Liberty cuts corners, they make great safes)

With this being said, I think people buy the safe THEY CAN AFFORD. If I had copious amounts of disposable cash laying around, then I would buy the King of safes, with 1 gauge steel and a million 5" locking bolts, with limitless fire protection, and endless space. Heck, I would build an underground impenetrable armory. Unfortunately, I don't have loads of cash to spend on a safe, so I bought the best/biggest safe within my households budget.

Buying a safe is a lot like buying a car, you can buy a Honda, a Volvo, or a BMW; each will offer varying levels of protection for your MOST valuables, at vastly varying costs. If you can only afford a Honda, then buy the best/safest Honda you can afford. If you can afford a BMW, then buy the best/safest BMW you can afford. And if you fall right in the middle like most, buy the best/Safest Volvo you can afford, because what it all comes down to, is that at a certain speed, or under just the right circumstances, each one will fail and you will die. (Or you could buy a Ford, a Lincoln, or a Land Rover, you get the idea).

Gun safes, no matter what you spend, can always be entered. Buy the best of what you can afford, bolt it down, and know that no matter what, safes will always just be a deterrent, and not a guarantee.