View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Military rule of thumb says it takes a force of 10 to 1 to drive out a entrenched opposing force. They also say that most attacking forces withdraw at 20 percent casualties. Facing liked armed attackers we could repel most any group. When the rest of the neighbors show up from all sides things are going to get ugly.
Maybe the terrain and neighbors favor you but I can tell you that at our BOL the terrain is flat to gently rolling and the neighbors are mostly aging hippies, clueless young people and retirees. All the buildings currently on site are stickbuilt with a thin layer of wood siding, tar paper, sheetrock and paint to stop projectiles.

Quote:
The supposition that the bad guys are going to be a overwhelming force is absurd. My wife shoots better that 99% of most pilgrims and she is the weakest shooter in our group. The attackers are going to be hungry and low on supplies, that is the reason they are attacking. Even in my little community the bad guys are going to be facing a bunch of very mad locals. I would say my county has more guns and ammo per capita than anywhere in the state.
The community surrounding our BOL is probably short on guns and ammo and people in general with a combat mindset. In a real WROL situation a lot of bad guys might be former law enforcement and military. Precious few of us in our current group would have the skillsets to go toe to toe with such folks.

Quote:
1400 yard shots, laughable. Only made by the top snipers in the world. There isn't going to be a bunch of them running around as criminals. Way too much TV being watched here.
1400 yards with a .308 maybe. 1400 yds with a .510 DTC or other large calibers ain't such a stretch anymore. I'm a firm believer in having bigger hammers. If my opponent shows up with .223 ARs at 400 yards, I want to return fire with .308s at 700 yards. If he shows up and starts lobbing .308 rounds from 700 yards, I want to return fire with a .50 from 900 yards. A number of properties I've looked at would permit me to do exactly that. Numerous parcels along Hwy 101 or Hwy 76, 78 and 79 have high steep rocky slopes behind flat arable land. If I had to retreat, I'd retreat to high ground with hard cover. Our current BOL does not have that option. The OP's location looks kinda gently rolling as well with limited ranges.

Quote:

I would never abandon my home. It is where all my food, and supplies are and my ability to survive.

You city folk need to learn what a sense of community and family is. We do practice what we preach. All the rest of this is crap.

I'm done with this fantasy thread. Good luck getting out of the city.

Look up the term "cannon fodder"
You've more confidence in your situation than I have in mine.