View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 9:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Ahh a fanboy chimes in. Here in lies the problem with Linux. Instead of focusing the coding power to 3-4 top running versions you have the fanboys fighting over "1000+" (fanboy ranting) 16+ (real number) group versions and No One version can ever be agreed upon. Just plain --->stupid!!!

The above nonsense was the thing that kept me from switching to linux for over 10 years. The fanboys fight amongst themselves disagreeing on everything. Its near impossible to find a good review of any linux version because the fanboyz will always bash whatever you post in a positive light as witnessed in the above post. You can never have a good opinion about any linux version without getting flamed.

In reality you actually have the following 16+ " group based" linux versions to choose from. I installed and ran the best/top 2-3 from each group. No point installing every single copy of each group when some are not even maintained anymore and run like chit.

Arch Linux based

Debian-based

Knoppix-based

Ubuntu-based

Other Debian-based

Gentoo-basedMandriva-based

openSUSE-based

Red Hat Linux

Fedora-based

Slackware-based

Other (Linux-based)

Mac OS X-based

Microsoft Windows-based

OpenSolaris-based

Other operating systems-based
Linux fanboy my *** goddammit.
You worded your title like there were a LOT of them and you finally tried them all out. :\

I am new to Linux myself but when I go to distrowatch and see this: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20131216

Then scroll part way down and see this quote:
"DistroWatch database summary

•Number of all distributions in the database: 766

•Number of active distributions in the database: 296

•Number of dormant distributions: 54

•Number of discontinued distributions: 416

•Number of distributions on the waiting list: 338"

I am sure you can see where a noob such as myself would easily see that there are over 1000+ variations based on these numbers. AND this is not counting the various desktops that you can also use. So if a distro has 5 desktops does it make it 5 versions now? Perhaps you should have stated your control and what constitutes a "version" and how different desktops play into it. I like to load them all up too but I am only on 177 and that damn site keeps changing the list on me so it is hard to grab them and stay current...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...