Thread: Air Force CCT
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorky View Post
I'm looking for some insight into Combat Control, specifically first hand accounts. I'm currently waiting for a contract and CCT is one of my top choices, along with Air Traffic Control.

Thanks in advance.
I never served in CCT, but I did share a class with an NCO who did. He was in my class because he was cross-training into my career field after 10 years in special ops. I learned a lot from the guy , me being an FNG tech school Airman curious about The Ways of The 'Force.

Its long hours, hard work-and more vitally, once youre in youre not getting out. Ever. The US Government spends a lot of money training Special Operations personnel, and because selection is tough the career field is always "critically manned". Meaning you will NOT be permitted to transition jobs like most members typically can do. The NCO i'm referring to had to wait until his second enlistment was up , Palace Chase to the National Guard, and THEN he could cross-train into my comparatively-sedate AFSC.

The man had a family , and he reasonably wanted to work a military job which allowed him to see his kids sometime before they graduated college. The Staff Sergeant had more rows of medals on his blues then a General Officer, so he was definitely in the BTDT category.

Air Traffic Control is a demanding job, especially in the USAF. The training process isn't a joke-when I was in ATC training was run out of Keesler AFB, which is where my tech school coincidentally was located. Their tech school training is VERY intense academically, and takes 18 months to finish . Believe me when I say you'll be sick of AETC restrictions real fast-I almost went nuts myself with all the rules and such, and I was there for about 6 months. Bottom line, you'd better be motivated like nobody's business to succeed in EITHER career category. I don't wish to come off like a douchebag, but you need a real gut-check before signing on the line for either job position. Both careers will put your mind and body to the highest test imaginable.

Hope this helps you out.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

Last edited by SilverTauron; 08-29-2013 at 8:04 PM..