View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
"Birdshot lacks penetration to reach vital organs" is a myth. People need to stop thinking birdshot is not lethal That's 100% not true.
I think the proper statement is:
Birdshot lacks the penetration to reliably reach the vital organs with enough oomph to do permanent damage necessary to practically guarantee stopping the violent attacker.

I choose to believe that the FBI was onto something when they suggested at least 12 inches of penetration into bare gelatin for defensive loads; #4 buck has around 11.5 inches, good enough for me. Birdshot is closer to 5 or 6 inches of penetration, less if there is heavy clothing involved. Meanwhile #4 buck penetrates about 6 sheets of sheetrock, for my situation that's probably good enough. Lastly, we live in a 3D world and the chance of anyone accidentally catching a stray is pretty remote, especially if you hit your target.

I made my decision long ago, I still stand by it, I hope to never find out firsthand if I was right. You are free to make the decision you think is most appropriate. If I was going to trust my life to being protected by someone with a shotgun, I'd request they use buckshot or slugs.

Have any of you birdshot proponents thought about using something other than #8? Perhaps a load of T shot or BBB?