View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
No, not even close. Private ownership is pretty much limited to shotguns and bolt action hunting type rifles. I did read where the privileged class can now carry a handgun for self defense though, but not just anybody, you would have to be connected, much like here in most counties in California. This was just passed into law a few months ago.
In Russia you have to own a shotgun/smoothbore for 5 years before you can get a rifled barrel weapon. You need a simple psych exam and a chat with local PD. Handguns are heavily restricted as is carrying knives. You need a cold weapon permit for a knife to be carried. Once you have your rifle there are tons of places to shoot including your own property depending on where you live. The Russian government even gives semi auto Ak-103 pattern rifles and Tigers to some of the tribes that live in the extreme north for hunting in their traditional ways. I have seen hunters there use Tigers on boats. I saw a shooting club where they would have Russian military come and bring FA weapons and let the locals shoot them. They also have a sort of civilian militia that has rifles. I saw armored car companies operate with Saiga 12 gauge shotguns and even 9x18 SMG's and Makarovs. In electronic stores and lots of supermarkets security guards have makarov pistols. So its not as restrictive as people think. Even during Soviet times the people could own firearms.