View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 7:02 AM
Calguns Addict

I put some stock in what Chuck Hawk says. He's weighed in on both rounds. to paraphrase him a bit without treading on his copyrights...If anyone wants to full scoop—and he gives it—join his site. It's a wealth of information.

Quote:
People are comparing the 6.5mm Grendel cartridge to the 6.8mm Rem. SPC cartridge. ...the 6.8mm SPC...for ... specific combat needs. ...has also proven to be a very accurate cartridge. ...similar to the trajectory of the .308 with a 150 grain bullet...

The 6.5mm Grendel was designed ...for long range precision shooting with AR15 type rifles. ... basically a match cartridge, not a combat cartridge...

I figure that the two cartridges are probably pretty equal in terms of intrinsic accuracy, and that it is the individual shooter who makes the difference.
He goes on to say that both use light bullets suffering in sectional density compared to other 6.5 mm cartridges (like the .270), limiting hunting use. He also, as Randall did. faults the actions limits in pressure support and powder volume.

Quote:
Cartridges of this class are indeed adequate for taking most CXP2 class game, such as European and North American deer. Shooters should welcome any new cartridge that combines adequate trajectory, killing power, and accuracy with low recoil.
Adequate is damning with faint praise in my book. But then again, since the action is limiting, you do what you can. He seems to prefer the 6.8 SPC ("The 6.8mm SPC has the advantage of being offered by a major ammunition manufacturer with national and international distribution. It also drives its .277" bullets to somewhat higher velocity."), but thinks you'd have to hand load heavier bullets in the 120-140 grain range to make it an adequate hunting cartridge.

Last edited by advocatusdiaboli; 07-08-2013 at 7:06 AM..