View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 9:30 AM

I have the 8.5-25s in the VX3s and the Mark 4s.I struggled with the extra cost of the Mark 4s as well.The mark 4s have a stronger/tougher chassis.If you are going to be in combat,throwing your gun down,or possibly dropping it,buy the Mark 4.The VX3 is very good for the normal person.Keep in mind they have a great warranty,but I have had to buy a couple of tubes in my lifetime.They do not warranty them when they break your fall in a rocky stream bed or tumbling down a hill,falling of the 4 wheeler,well you get the idea.They did fix them though.I use a few of the VX3 3.5-10s on my hunting guns.I get along well with Zeiss Conquest,Nikon Monarchs,Bushnell Elites,Burris Euro or Black Diamonds,as well.Recently got into the Weaver Super Slams as well.Not knocking Leupold,I own over 30 of them,but look around a little.For hunting I actually prefer the Zeiss.
I see a few Leupolds and higher end Schmidt Benders on long range guns,but it seems the Bushnell Elites are taking over.Cost per value is the reason I suppose.
I switch scopes on a AR I have in 6.8SPC.Weaver Super Slam 2-10 with EBX reticle is great for the range and longer shots hunting.I switch it with a Leupold AR 1-4 for coyotes and PDW.I like 1-4 for close and to 3-400 yards.2-7s I won't waist the money on when a 3-9 is not much larger or heavier.I do not even want them on my 22s.
Something to understand is warranty and repair after the sale.I rate Leupold and Burris the finest.Usually around 2-3 week turnaround.Nikon,BushnellWeaver good with 3-5 weeks .Zeiss,I do not know yet.Swarovski 9-13 MONTHS/I won't do them again.