View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziconceo View Post
Ok, well The parents aren't doing anything. Its like they don't even care for her which is really sad. They act like it doesn't even happen. I need to have something I can put to the table incase I need to teach them how to deal with this issue myself. Are there any programs you guys would recommend? I think she needs to be put on that show "beyond scared straight" (or however you spell it)
As a high school teacher, I deal with this on a daily basis. This problem has been in the making for 14 years and it will not be quickly fixed by you or any other caring outsider.

She has probably been identified at her school as an "at-risk" student. From what you describe, I am sure the school has contacted her parents over discipline problems and grades. Having been a teacher on these student success teams more times than I care to remember (all thanks to your tax dollars and our feel good politicians) the parents have been offered parenting classes (paid for by our tax dollars), the daughter has been offered counseling and drug rehab (paid for by our tax dollars) and all sorts of other assistance (paid for by our tax dollars). After a few meetings, when nothing has changed, the parents quit attending and the student's behavior gets worse.

The next chance to get the student's attention is her arrest. If that does not do it, then some other traumatic event.

You are not going to teach her parents how to be parents. I am over 50 and deal very effectively with teens. I get them to behave when their parents cannot. I and other teachers like me cannot get parents to understand how to parent their teens. We all have even successfully parented our teens to adulthood.

LE resources are spread so thin that we have a hard time arresting all the students caught with drugs on our campus. We have our own SRO and she spends half her time transporting students arrested for offenses far worse than simple possession. Those arrested for possession or low level dealing, get probation because there is no place to house them. They know it. They will also learn quickly that it was you who is ratting them out and you will become the one they target. The your GF's parents will turn on you, and your GF might do the same. It is a very old story.