View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidwhitewolf View Post
While I am certainly not a firearms litigator, and it will take other minds than mine to determine whether there is a case here worthy of action backed by CGF or other entities, I am just thinking of the parallels when applying such a letter to the South during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s -- or even more recent voter-registration drives in minority-dominated communities.

If a white Southern Sheriff and AG had sent such "friendly reminder" letters -- watch out new voter, you could be prosecuted for voter fraud if you exercise that right to vote, so y'all be careful -- to every newly registered voter during a minority-dominated voter registration drive, I think most folks would perceive the obvious intimidation -- even if the letters might have been legal on their face.

The intent may be to limit use of firearms in crimes, but if the method chosen to achieve that is to deliberately chill citizens from exercising their right to purchase a firearm -- which, in the current climate, I'm betting is arguably a political act -- there's all sorts of wrong with that. Councilman Garcetti's motion expressly noted that "success" was when letter recipients failed to complete their firearms purchase, after all.

Joe Huffman had some thoughts on this a while back with which I agree.

Ms. Tremblay & co. probably haven't given a second's thought before now to any of this; they're focused on criminals. Tough. They're public servants, after all, and they need to know we're out here. Voicemails from indignant, offended law-abiding gun owners politely detailing their annoyance might be a start.

"Ma'am, I just want to follow the law. And I'm confused. You sent me a letter right after I purchased a firearm, which is my lawful right. And obviously this letter is telling me my local prosecutor knows who I am, even though I'm a law-abiding citizen. That's pretty intimidating, don't you think? And the letter says that if I complete my firearms purchase, I might be subject to prosecution for something. And then I see that the City Council measured the success of these intimidating letters in their pilot program by how many firearms purchases were canceled after these letters were sent out. So is that why you sent me this letter? Is that what you want me to do? Do you want me to go back and cancel my purchase of the firearm I lawfully purchased to defend myself and my family? That's the way some people might read this letter. And I just want to follow the law. So please tell me what your office is telling me I should do in this letter, I'd really like to know."
^^^ This.

Noble