View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Smith View Post
If you've got a spare 550 toolhead put your universal decapping die in it and use the 550 to dacap all that brass. It goes a lot faster than with a single stage. You only have to handle each piece of brass once.
Does putting brass in the progressive shell plate and turning it to pop out the deprimed brass really save that much motion vs. putting brass into a single stage and manually removing it after the cycle? My first impression is that it would be uncomfortable to load brass into the RL550B with my left hand (its loading stage is on the right side), so I'd be taking my right hand off the lever to load brass. In contrast, I think that with the single stage I could keep my right hand on the lever and handle the brass with my left hand. I guess I could pull a pin and load brass on the left side of the shell plate.

I should try it a few ways and then order another toolhead if I find that it goes faster in the progressive. I don't have my single stage press mounted just yet. I have an extra Dillon mounting base that I plan to adapt to the Hornady press to put both of my presses at the same height. I'll share a picture in the reloading bench picture thread once I have it all put together, at some point in the unpredictable future.