View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Hahahaha!!! My FIRST sanctioned match, and my first DQ.

Yes, it was a good call, and definitely a learning experience for me. I need to learn/work on movement in corners/retreats.

(snip)
_
Dang. Rounding corners can definitely present a 180/sweeping issue. Tanks gave you a great general guideline.

Another consideration is the space that is available when rounding the corner. USPSA doesn't penalize for movement outside of the fault lines. So you could, if it helps you feel more confident, utilize more space (i.e, take a wider line around the corner). This will cost a bit of time.

I also find myself bringing the gun up and towards my chest while always keeping the muzzle pointed downrange when running around corners like that (running left). Your right arm ends up looking like a T-Rex, but the core safety idea (keeping the muzzle pointed downrange) is maintained.

As for running uprange: Here are some considerations

1) Which hand is dominant (we've already established that you're right handed)
2) Which direction will I be moving in addition to uprange (i.e, uprange and left vs uprange and right)
3) Which direction will I be engaging targets when I reach my final position uprange.

2 and 3 often have the same answer. For example, I'm moving uprange to my left (when I was facing downrange) to engage targets on the left berm. Lowering the gun vs. lifting above your shoulder (keeping your muzzle downrange AND parallel with the Earth) is answered through 2 and 3. That's because of the "extra turning motion" that has to happen to ensure that you don't sweep the entire squad.

In the case of a "strictly uprange" hallway, 3 becomes a deciding factor for how I position the gun.

Right handed example
If I'm moving uprange and to the right (targets on the right)
I position myself to the right of the gun by bringing it slightly above my left shoulder while keeping the muzzle parallel to the Earth (180's are vertical, too!). This keeps the gun pointed downrange and makes it clear that you aren't sweeping yourself.

If I'm moving uprange and to the left (targets on the left)
I position myself to to the left of the gun by maintaining the elevation of the gun while turning my body so I can move to the left.

Whether or not you should break your grip is related to how much movement is necessary. Short hop between positions? No need to break your grip.

Where things get interesting is an Uprange+Left+Reload. That's kind of what I see as an "extra" in your video. Some advocate completing the reload before moving. I saw a couple of people complete the reload at the end of their Uprange+Left movement. I've been trying that when there is a extra leftward movement required--an extra length of wall, for example. The key here is to make sure that you're muzzle doesn't break the 180 when you're reloading.

Focusing on movement has really helped me lately. Moving at an appropriate speed, staying balanced, and planting into the exact position works wonders. Making the decision to immediately move (target to target and position to position) is a big one, too