View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
As mentioned above by tanks, always keep the gun IN FRONT of you with muzzle pointed downrange / at the threat. Lead with the weapon! Why would you ever have the gun behind your body pointed behind you??? You are NOT in the French Army...
First of all, thanks for the response.

I'm trying to do a retrospective on this - why in the hell did I do what I just did!

The only reason I could think of is seeing how FAST competitors in YouTube do it...

I seriously don't know...

Quote:
Without a doubt this was a good teachable moment and I doubt you will repeat this error...
Definitely will NOT...!!!

Quote:
but seriously, take some classes;

- Take a couple good basic tactical classes from a well known reputable school that focus on safety, weapons manipulation and CQB movement
- Shoot some local, friendly neighborhood matches for a period of time to take measure of you r skill level and build it.
- Then take some classes that focus on competition skills from successful competitors.

I do take classes. LOTS of them. I keep a record of ALL my classes and matches (with results) in a Google sheet. Here is a redacted version: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Quote:
- Take a couple good basic tactical classes from a well known reputable school that focus on safety, weapons manipulation and CQB movement
Any recommended class that teaches CQB movement?

In the past year, have progressed through "introductory" to "advanced" levels of an Angeles-based school. However, not much CQB was taught.

Quote:
- Shoot some local, friendly neighborhood matches for a period of time to take measure of you r skill level and build it.
I have shot several local matches already. Before Brass Fest I have shot about 5 USPSA local/club matches. I'm still a "U" in USPSA, but my recent classifier scores are in my resume.

Quote:
- Then take some classes that focus on competition skills from successful competitors.
I did take a class from Vogel last year. Was supposed to be taking JJ Racaza's class prior to Brass Fest, but the class got canceled.

Right now, I'm using Mike Seeklander's dry practice program at home, as well.

Quote:
- Have fun!
True that...!!! But seriously - sometimes it becomes difficult when in spite of the practice I have put in, I'm actually getting more *ugh* *SMH* moments in my recent matches.

Although I find an improvement in speed and accuracy - there is always this stumbling moment that ruins everything!

As it would be said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt View Post
make changes, not excuses.
Definitely!

_

Last edited by rodralig; 06-17-2018 at 8:21 AM..