View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 8:12 PM

First of all, this is a great thread. All 3 points OP made are excellent advice, but also should be viewed as common sense. But I think the one that most people fall prey to would be talking to the police. This does not mean to be uncooperative or to be a prick towards the police. Its just that the officer who pulled you over or stops you has a job of firing off a series of incriminating questions. And I can't stress how important it is to train yourself on how to answer it without getting you car searched and seized. Cops do not care how much financial, emotional, material stress they cause a person when they falsely detain you for something that was perfectly legal in the first case. They'll just claim they're doing their job. This is where and why so many people hate cops and I don't understand why cops don't understand this phenomenon. If an officer searches someone's vehicle and finds a legally configured AR they suffer no consequences if they accuse the person of having a "Automatic Machine Gun Assault Weapon" that has a sole purpose of penetrating an officer's bullet proof vest. Said person then gets arrested and goes through hell trying to fight it out in court and spends upwards of $100K defending his freedom when he should never have had to. And the officer just says he's "doing his job". But let me be the first to say, that I am appreciative of knowing that if I had to call the police for an emergency, they will show up reasonably fast. Because THAT is their job. But I have conflicting feelings when I get bullied around by rogue cops. And even worse is when rogue cops are unfairly "protected" from prosecution in a court of law when sometimes so clearly break the law. It makes me sick.
So, if anyone feels any guilt of not talking to the cops when they are being interrogated during a traffic stop, don't be. Because they sure as hell wouldn't feel bad at all for ruining your life over a misunderstanding. You know why? Because that is their job.