View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default IMPORTANT NOTE to CA FFLs + their customers regarding legal matters/interaction...

[Please do not play guessing games here on why I am posting this.]

A word to the wise... for cooperation of FFLs and gunnies in CA.

We don't need to pit ourselves against each other and we should all be talking...

• If you're a customer of an FFL handling your consignment sale, and that consignment
    is in some way a bit 'radioactive' - i.e., fully legal-but-attention-getting (something
    more than a boring OLL rifle nowadays), you probably should already have the rest of
    your life - both gun-wise and otherwise - well-organized and squared away were the
    DOJ to come to your door with a warrant.
  • If you're an FFL in the above scenario, and there are somehow issues called out
    regardless of true legal status, just a BOF agent going off the deep end) with the
    firearm(s) consigned, it would be very courteous + very customer-supportive if you
    were to contact the consigner/seller directly when you first hear of any issues arising,
    etc. The FFL is normally not sworn to secrecy, and is certainly normally entitled to contact
    the consignee about any change of status or relocation of the consigned firearm or other
    titillating entity.
  • If for some reason you had an unsavory interaction with DOJ and/or police relating to a
    recently-purchased firearm, it might be courteous [if it goes that far, with your attorney's
    permission or thru your attorney] to let your friendly FFL (from whom you purchased that
    firearm) know. Don't have to say anything more than, "I bought XYZ from you on <date>,
    it is unmodified from when I got it, and just want you to know <situation> happened with
    this item"
  • If paperwork were somehow seized from your place regarding various FFLs, it would be a
    nice courtesy if you notified them, just so their ears are up.
  • The above situations' descriptions are not to be construed as restrictive; think about how
    anything out-of-the-normal that could raise the hackles of a DOJ BOF agent/auditor (who
    doesn't know the full details of the laws) at an FFL visit could come back to you. Or, think
    how something that happened to you could cause drama for an FFL.
  • Teamwork, gentlemen! (perhaps 'gentlepersons' to not leave out gunnies of the fairer sex)

The above is not to induce paranoia and ordinarily should not include any concerns about typical OLL situations - these are getting to be pretty 'plain-Jane' these days.

Just realize that if you're gonna be aggressive you should know what's in your gunsafe and ammo box.

If your firearm is legal and it triggers some drama, we at the CGF want to know about it and help you - FFL or customer. But our lives are easier if there's rapid communication in above situations.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 03-16-2009 at 12:04 PM..