View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Apparently you never met a woman who was a cop, a firefighter, an emergency room doctor or nurse, or EMT. Or a woman who has been physically attacked and survived. Women can be a lot tougher than you think (see my signature line).

Surely in any given platoon, there are stronger and weaker members, and the team just learns to compensate for it and take advantage of everyone's strengths and weaknesses. If they don't, they're dumb.

I don't think the military sends women into war zones who are not physically and mentally fit for it. I commend their courage.
I have actually heard specific stories relating to a female firefighter that was indeed qualified for her position, back when I was in a firefighting 101 class looking into becoming a firefighter. And for the record, I am an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).

In regards to doctors, EMTs, firefighters, cops; Don't compare any of those careers to a soldier on the frontline. There really isn't any merit in any comparison. It is a position that is quite unique in almost every aspect.

Yes, people can be tough at times. In extreme scenarios. But these are specific cases you are citing. I am talking about a war front. Not something that lasts a few minutes or hours, but is ongoing for days, weeks. Day in and day out. That is the standard. Most women cannot hack that standard. There are those that can, but they are the minority of a small group of women willing to be in the military at all; that small minority does not warrant lowering standards for more women to fight on the front. We are not talking about the extremely small number of women that could pound through the standards like they were nothing. Extremes always exist in everything. We are talking about the women admitted solely because of the lowered standards, which most definitely happen.

Why would you want a squad to be at a disadvantage before they even got into a firefight?

Anyway, I'm not here to debate your opinion. I only posted in this thread to remind the posters of the greater repercussions of policy regarding this topic. Thank you for your time, please carry on.

Last edited by Calgunner739; 12-30-2012 at 10:38 PM..