View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
Gray may have to answer this, because if I recall they didn't pursue that particular angle. I suspect that, yes, it would have forced CO to honor non-resident reciprocal permits, but in the 2A "master plan" by doing this wouldn't move the ball forward(getting all states to go shall-issue and issue to non-residents). It would affect only CO, and be persuasive against SC, due to the fact that SC, like Denver, outlaws OC, and like CO requires a permit for CCW and honors only specific resident permits, and doesn't generally issue to non-residents.
South Carolina, Denver (Colorado), New York, and Michigan are the only four jurisdictions with this particular problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
The stupid lawmakers' intent in CO was to simply have CO residents carry only on a CO permit, but sloppily wrote the law so now non-residents are also affected. I heard rumors NM was also thinking about doing this as well. They can't seem to figure out that they can just single out their own residents for this rule and leave non-residents out, just like it is in many other states.
In the early stages of this bill, I actually reached out to Senator Morse (the author of this bill and advised them of the consequences to the residents of the 22 states, and gave suggested language from Washington State and Arizona to fix the evil they were trying to address (which was Colorado residents using out of state licenses to avoid the local process). They made one change (people moving into Colorado have 90 days to change over to a Colorado license), but they completely ignored the rest of my suggestions.