Thread: ,,,,
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1buc View Post
Officers harken back to a time when the average enlisted person was an under-educated backwoods farmer who had a 4th grade education. Officer's were needed then to conduct planning, preparation, and basic math skills. Today's enlisted corps not only maintain's a technical expertise, but the majority of them are working to the same or greater level of higher learning than their traditional "betters". Non commisioned Officers, middle to higher ranking enlisted, are the back bone of the military. You could wipe out every commisioned officer from O-1 and up and the military would still run. The word of the day, in any branch of service, is when something that is completely redundant, asanine, or way over-budgeted comes down the pipe and needs to get done, some officer with nothing better to do, is trying to make him or herself look good. Usually at the expense of their enlisted. Hence, Officers are a useless and outdated notion.
An interesting observation - one I think I concur with. I was at a CSMR course this weekend. They were training a national guard unit on civil disturbance techniques, crowd control, etc.

The NG platoon was comprised of 15 or so soldiers headed by a SFC. This in turn was being trained by a CSMR platoon of about the same number of soldiers headed by a 1SG.

Interestingly, two days of training were undertaken by these two groups. Towards the end of day 2, a lone Major walks up, shakes the 1SG's hand, presents him with a plaque of appreciation, and rapidly departs.

I ask an SPC - who was that?

"That's the guard unit's commander"

I was floored. He was there for five minutes. Didn't care to even observe the training, learn it himself, or even supervise. I was then made aware of the frequent scarcity of officers in these situations.

I would've at least thought the NG platoon would've had a 2LT observing the whole time at least for edification purposes.