View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 9:50 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by caponord View Post
Frankly, most of this stuff is academic and esoteric to the point of irrelevance for 99% of shooters out there, even the ones that participate in PRS-type competitions. Yes, if you're shooting benchrest or some other type of competition that requires pure mechanical accuracy, then by all means turn your meplats, weigh and sort your brass, measure every powder throw to 0.05 grains, load your bullets just off the lands, have your chambers custom cut for your best handloads, etc. But in the comps in which the RPR will most likely participate, variables like shooting from odd, uncomfortable positions, controlling your breath after a 50 yard run, holding for wind, punching through mirage, and leading movers will completely swamp out stuff like whether all your once-fired Lapua brass has perfectly concentric necks.

I'm not saying having a mechanical system with extreme accuracy is a bad thing. Far from it. I'm just saying that taking advantage of that type of accuracy is the final step in a long, long line of steps, most of which the vast majority of shooters will never take. If the RPR gets shooters excited to go do some distance shooting or participate in comps, everyone wins!
It probably is, but this rifle is marketed and named as "precision". The word "precision" seems to have because a popular buzz word. What it comes down to, I think, is that everyone has a different idea of what precision entails.

After a lot of money spending and trying about every product out there, I've found what seems to work. In particular, I have spent most my effort in seeing what works best for ELR shooting. Obviously, the key to performing well over long ranges is with bullet selection. As the bullet gets more efficient (mostly monolithic bullets), what happens is they become extremely sensitive to their seating and headspace relative to the chamber.

Thus, I have concluded that the most efficient way to obtain the results you need is to get a minimum size chamber, in headspace, neck diameter, and freebore. Then, you can fit the chamber to the bullet by using a unithroater tool. Thus, in the case of very long range shooting, I think you actually want to go to the extra step of sizing your chamber to fit a precise bullet you will use. I do not sort bullets as I'd rather pay to get the bullets made and tested for high tolerance. If the bullet requires sorting, then it is not really for precision.