View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 5:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
HAHAHAAAA!

I actually expected this

Yes it concerns me it's overworking my brass because the the headspace was too long, allowing the brass to stretch too far, and with a LARGER expanded case, pressure drops. I do full length resize after every firing. That stretch and crush of the case has likely worn the brass significantly more than it should have.

If you were reloading properly for this chambering you would have known the chamber was long or short on your first reloading session.If you were posting this in the AR15 AK47 section of this forum it would not surprise me but you are posting in the Precision forum.

If I was after a higher pressure, more powder capacity, more vel, I'd shoot a 260 or 243. I prefer the long barrel life of the 308. So even when I do wear out this barrel, I'll probably stick with 308.
No comment

How was I to know it was OUT OF SPEC from the factory? I dont own go/no go gauges. That was the first time it was checked. Wouldnt anyone *ASSUME* their rifle was within tolerance from the factory? And be upset to found it it wasnt? Not that it's 'fine' out of spec like you claim. It isnt fine- thats why there are specs to begin with, and if it is NOT in spec, it is NOT fine.

When you measure your brass after firing it you would/should have known there was a discrepancy.On a Precision rifle nobody assumes anything they verify everything.Small amounts of headspace variation are quite common in custom builds and most Precision shooters take care of this non-consequential variation with there dies.

Replacing a 308 barrel at sub 2000 rounds is truely a waste of money. Clearly you have excess money to spend on rifles if you do this..... *AND* since this is the "precision rifle forum", almost no one else here shoots a savage. So.... with all this excess money you apparently have with all these extra barrels, why do you shoot a savage instead of a custom action, or AI, or TRG, custom 700?

Precision shooting means a barrel gets replaced whenever its peak accuracy falls off.I don't have excess money and the barrels get fitted to other rifles for other shooting purposes.Savage rifles are shot in competition daily and do just fine.As your shooting changes from a hobby to an obsession most shooters see a need for features not present on factory actions and upgrade there equipment.I have most of the major name brand custom actions made or multiples of them and have posted pictures of some of them on calguns in the past.I shoot all actions and see little difference between them.

I shoot a savage because I'm on a budget.

Nothing wrong with a Savage.

When I have funds, I will go to a 700 based custom action. Probably a Tac 30. so this is my first and probably last savage.

I would do this only if you have a specific reason for the change and not just to look cool t the range.I see a lot of shooters upgrading when they really don't need to.The money would be better spent in my humble opinion on bullet and powder and more importantly more range time.

Now explain to me again why a guy with *some tools* but not all necessary tools, (go/nogo gauges) who unsafely swaps barrels should try and convince a guy to do the same?

I would never recommend anything unsafe and for you to say that has me scratching my head.As this is the Precision forum you can set the headspace with a properly loaded round and a caliper.As you continue to shoot and hopefully gain more experience you will soon realize this isn't a very tough job to do.

Oh, thats right.... you like to 'tinker'... like a shadetree mechanic... or as often called "Do it *to* yourselfers".

Actually this is somewhat correct even though you probably meant it to be negative or derogatory in nature.I do these very simple tasks myself because my gunsmith doesn't follow me to the range on sunday morning and I swap out barrels testing and working up new loads.I don't have my gunsmith who lives in Pennsylvania fly out here for such a modest task.

But lastly, I can honestly say, that I do not respect your opinion (because of your unsafe practices that you actually tell others they should do the same), and could care less what you think.

I honestly don't care what you think of me or my posts but my opinion is valid.I don't recommend anything unsafe to anyone and until you learn a little bit more about shooting,reloading and can listen to scrutiny withot taking it the wrong way you should have someone else do this work for you.Hopefully down the road you will advance your shooting or just look around you and discover this is done all the time and is quite safe when done right.You are not there now.

Regards,
I'm out.
I'll post you a picture or two to look at.

Last edited by LynnJr; 10-08-2013 at 8:17 PM..