View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Randall, this is my concern as to my knowledge guns will be fit for user defined dimensions with the best tolerances reasonably attained.

Could you help explain the question I had in post 160. I am not familiar with the barrel nut type guns swap procedure. I understand how you can install a new barrel to get it to a headspace that will work using a gauge. My question was at the method of exact repeatability of chamber dimensions when you swap barrels and put the old one back on. How do you do so in a manner so that you return to precise chamber dimensions that you had prior to taking off the barrel you had previously fit.

To my way of thinking, this is accomplished by having the barrel fully engaged (i.e. torqued back in full). With the nut configurations, as I understand, you are screwing it back to a certain dimension, then tightening the nut to make sure it doesn't move. How do you get it to the precise dimensions you had before by screwing in the barrel without having it fully engage. The "barrel swap" concept is gaining a lot of traction, but to me, it isn't a "barrel swap" configuration if the barrel does not return to the precise position for your chamber to be at the identical specifications where you had it set.

I know some folks will say that you have a vested interest in fitting barrels (which you do), but you are also more mechanically inclined than most so I think it will be beneficial to explain how to get an identical chamber after you have taken and removed the barrel. It seems like it would be a difficult process and very hard to measure. This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't gotten a direct answer from those that use barrel nuts.
Frankly, most of this stuff is academic and esoteric to the point of irrelevance for 99% of shooters out there, even the ones that participate in PRS-type competitions. Yes, if you're shooting benchrest or some other type of competition that requires pure mechanical accuracy, then by all means turn your meplats, weigh and sort your brass, measure every powder throw to 0.05 grains, load your bullets just off the lands, have your chambers custom cut for your best handloads, etc. But in the comps in which the RPR will most likely participate, variables like shooting from odd, uncomfortable positions, controlling your breath after a 50 yard run, holding for wind, punching through mirage, and leading movers will completely swamp out stuff like whether all your once-fired Lapua brass has perfectly concentric necks.

I'm not saying having a mechanical system with extreme accuracy is a bad thing. Far from it. I'm just saying that taking advantage of that type of accuracy is the final step in a long, long line of steps, most of which the vast majority of shooters will never take. If the RPR gets shooters excited to go do some distance shooting or participate in comps, everyone wins!