View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

In re-reading my posts, I probably have come on a bit to strong. I apologize to TGM in doing so. Your right, some people can zero their scopes in just a few rounds. Others need several boxes and still can't figure out why it isn't shooting right. The two fella's shooting next to me last Saturday at the range were two good examples. One was shooting a .338 and complained all day long that the rifle was hurting his shoulder. After getting his rifle to within 6" of where he wanted it, he said "it's good enough". That's not fair to the mule deer (yes, mule deer) that he was headed out to Colorado to hunt. His buddy *****ed for two hours because he was shooting all over the map. He asked if I would check his gun out because "it was a problem". Easy enough. Two windage screws were loose...very loose.

I wished the OP had had a great hunt. I know I can only speak for myself, but I know that I will enjoy my hunt more knowing that I am confident in how my rifle shoots. I cannot get that confidence sighting it in the day before.

Again, I apologize to the OP. I could have responded differently and still got my point across. Trust me, if you spend quality time at the range, your confidence in the field will magnify many times over.

As for guides, I think they can be a great benefit for newer hunters. There is much that can be learned from someone who does for a living what you do in a day or two. When I reference "guides" mostly its with outfitters who are more friends than guides and often don't "guide" me, but are there to support me when it comes time to pack out an elk from a ravine.