View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 9:35 AM

Question What do you plan on using the gun for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMysterio13 View Post
Sorry if this isn't the right area to post this or if it has been mentioned; I just thought it is relavent.

I am going to buy a RIA 1911 GIA; I want to turn it into a "customize" project. Can you guys give me some advice and tips on getting started? I would greatly appreciate it.

The pictures in this thread are awesome; you all are quite creative and have some very sexy 1911's.
First, decide on what you plan on using the gun for. If it's for personal defense, that's one thing, if it's for duty usage, then you have to take other things into consideration (EX: trigger weight, night sights, extended controls, use with hollow point and +P ammo, ETC)...where as if you want to use it for competition, what flavor of competition? IDPA or IPSC? They have different classes and different rules to abide by. If you want a target pistol for use at your local range, or say, for use as a bowling pin match gun, you'll have different needs again. So, think about what you realistically plan on using the gun for. Guns are tools. You use different tools for different purposes, right? I own five Rock Island Armory 1911 pistols, and I use them each for different purposes. Figure out the purpose for the tool.

Second, check out www.brownells.com or www.midwayusa.com. They both are your friend. I prefer Brownells because they give discounts to Military and Law Enforcement personnel with active credentials and they have gunsmiths on call that you can speak with to ask questions. Their customer service is second to none. Brownells has a very large assortment of 1911 parts to choose from to meet every 1911 shooting need. I love them and can't recommend them enough.

Third, speak to a professional. People on blogs can give you good pointers. I have learned a few pointers on CalGuns. But, speak to a professional. People on blogs will give you their opinions. Use those opinions as a basis to do more homework. Go see a gunsmith. Check on CalGuns and find out who some good gunsmiths are. I recommend Mark Bunach, the Orange County Gunsmith (www.ocgunsmith.com/). He customized all 5 of my 1911 pistols and he services them as well. Other people will recommend their gunsmith. Check them all out, ask them questions, get price quotes and find out their turnaround time, and then see which one you can afford. Gunsmithing can cost a bunch, plus it is your gun after all, so choose wisely.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me or others on this thread. There are some nice 1911 pistols here and there are some creative people too.

Semper Fi! --1911ShooterPhil