View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM

Default Your "overheard" stories and just kept your mouth shut and listened

Have you ever listened to people telling tall tell stories of their military career? I am sure most of you have. I was recently at a gun store in my hometown and I was just perusing through their overpriced guns. Anyway, two customers were talking to one of the employees who was behind the counter. The range of the conversation was from politics to guns. When the topic of military came up, the employee proudly claimed that he was a combat veteran. When the customer asked what branched he had served in, the employee said Air Force. The customer seemed impressed and thanked him for his service. Then he asked the employee what his MOS was and the employee just said, "Well I was pretty much in the special forces"... that's when my ear twitched and zoned in on the conversation without being too noticeable. The employee proceeded to say how he was behind enemy lines before even the "useless Marines and the ****ed up Army" guys went into Iraq. He even boasted about beating up Marines at their own base. The funny thing is, this employee did not look any older than 21 years old. I don't believe for a second that this gentleman was ever in OIF I or in the "pretty much special forces" of the air force. I didn't approach the gentlemen and question him because it's not the kind of conversation I want to get with anyone. Even if he did serve in the AF, I don't think embellishing on his service is appropriate in order to impress anyone. Plus its not he is stealing valor.

What about you guys? ever overheard anyone anywhere in public either making up military careers to impress people?
For a combat soldier, the difference between success and failure is your ability to adapt to your enemy. The people that we deal with, they don't care about the rules. All they care about is a result. My job is to stop them from completing their objective, at all costs.

Last edited by coyote43g; 07-31-2014 at 6:36 PM..