Thread: Vehicle carry
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingvet View Post
I hope I don't add more confusion but here is my input (though I am no expert).

I just went through the training with San Bernardino Co Sheriff Dept for my CCW. The deputy there said the CCW is valid only for the firearm on your person. If detached from you and in the car (i.e. under seat, in glove box, etc.) it is no longer a CCW and needs to be transported according to typical firearm transport law.

Perhaps it not a clear statute thing but it was presented to me as at least SBSD's interpretation and expectation and could potentially lead to my CCW being yanked if violated.
Article 1. Crime of Carrying a Concealed Firearm

Section 25400.

(a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when the person does any of the following:

(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle that is under the person' s control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(2) Carries concealed upon the person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which the person is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

#3 states a weapon is concealed when in a car which is what my ccw permit enables me to do. I have not read or anywhere that my ccw is only valid to exempt me from #1 and #2 but if i did #3 i would be breaking the law. Hope that is clear enough. I would assume that even if I am carrying concealed but say I was printing and people could see I had a gun even if it covered by my shirt it would not be wise....so don't leave your gun out in plain sight if its in the car.

Last edited by b_madeiros; 08-22-2013 at 8:44 AM..