View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 PM

I applied, took all the tests (as well as interviewed) and was accepted.
I was scheduled to attend the 6 Month Academy in Monterrey as I recall. I own a home in Southern CA and and after finding out the pay, I had to opt out. Sad, I really wanted to do this and eventually work in the Gorman OHV area.

The pay is literally peanuts and you cannot make a house payment until you are at least 5 years in. Well...at least not a house in the South Bay LA area.
It was a great experience and everyone I interacted with was professional and courteous. The written test is challenging if you have been out of school for a while, while the physical test was easy (as long as you were in relatively decent shape).

This was easily 7 years ago.

Remember, this is a state job which is already implementing furloughs. My brother is a supervisor ranger in the Malibu area. He is doing quite well and works a lot of overtime for the studios who like to film in the State Parks (this requires a Rangers presence). He has been with them quite a while and has a few perks for sure. If you got in back in the day you are set. I don't believe it's as lucrative these days.