View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarville View Post
Number 1, 3, 4 and 5 sound reasonable. I think cacop has a point about number 2. I certainly don't know what to offer as a charge for any complaint. Will the cops even ask?
When we run across people that are victims we ask, "What happened?" If we aren't sure we will still ask because Miranda does not apply if we are not "asking questions designed to elicit an incriminating response."

We do not expect people to quote penal codes. We will fill in the report form. In my department we will even have you sign a citation for a citizen's arrest. We do expect victims to state what happened, even briefly, because that is what they do.

Suspects tend to tell us to go have sex with ourselves. Or they try to spin the story like they are the victim. Sometimes they are good enough to come up with a plausible story.

Witnesses are almost useless most of the time. They rarely ever see the event from start to finish. They always see the second punch. They rarely ever see the first punch. Expect that if you have to shoot someone.