View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 8:11 PM

Default LWRC SPR - Buyers remorse or expectations too high?

I picked up my Daniel Defense M4v5 and LWRC M6A2 SPR today. After some inspection and breaking them down, I have a few insights and questions.

First up is the DDM4v5. I've wanted a Daniel Defense AR ever since I saw their torture test video, incredible. One word comes to mind for this rifle..."Wow"! This factory built AR is incredibly impressive. The fit and finish is the best I've seen on any AR, DI or piston system. I've built my own with a BCM upper, own the LWRC M6A2-FDE, had the Colt 6920 and Bushmaster XM15, but this one beats them all in regards to fit and finish IMO. Absolutely no play between the upper and lower receiver. The BCG is GTG, no surprises there. I'm just blown away by the quality at this price point, great job DD. The few negatives I could come up with are the crap generic charging handle, no iron sights provided and the factory trigger feels terrible. Negatives only cause I've been spoiled by BCM, Troy and Geissele products. If you're thinking of getting your first AR or picking up another, this brand has just become my number one recommendation for a DI rifle. (Might change if I get to handle a Noveske one day )

Next up is the LWRC M6A2 SPR (all black version). Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. At this price point, I expect it to rival the Daniel Defense AR and beat it handily with fit and finish. Sadly, that's not the case. There is some play between the upper and lower which isn't uncommon in most ARs. I also have the non-SPR version which has some play, less due to the cerakote finish probably. The other disappointing thing I noticed was that the bolt assembly isn't coated in nickel boron like the carrier is. On my other LWRC, the entire BCG is coated so it's a bit shocking the more expensive version doesn't follow suit. Last qualm is about the crap factory trigger, but no surprise there. On the plus side for LWRC, it comes with flip up sights, a BCM mod3 charging handle, sexy spiral fluted barrel, sleek hand guard, and a b*tch'en piston system that's super easy to operate and clean.

Now I'm debating if I should give the SPR a chance or sell it. It was on my wishlist for a long time and I wanted to get it before year end due to pending legislation but now I'm not sure about it. I'm a fan of the piston system and believe LWRC is one of the top 3 in that market. However, should I keep it if I'm not loving it? Are my expectations too high cause all ARs will have some negatives?